The land should typically, but not exclusively, have the following characteristics:
- At least 12 acres of flat or slightly south facing land
- Agricultural land classified as Grade 3 or lower on the provisional Agricultural Land Classification Map, or brownfield land
- Proximity to 33kv/66kv power line or less than 3km from a primary substation
- Minimal visibility from key public vantage points or heavily populated areas
- Not be located within a flood zone (unless in an area benefitting from flood protection), National Park or Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Not be in an area where a solar farm is likely to compromise the setting of a scheduled monument or listed building
Land is not irreversibly developed when a solar farm is constructed – the panels are mounted on frames driven into the soil and these are removed at the end of its useful life.
If you think that you may have land that is suitable please feel free to contact us and one of our planning team will be happy to look at the feasibility of a project.